We are proud to say that we have very little food waste at Gourmet Goat. We plan meticulously each day what will be prepared so that we either sell out or that it can be used the following days. On the rare occasions we do have food left over on a Saturday then this is given to the charitable organisation Plan Zheros.
All compostable non usable food waste is put in the food bins at the market for industrial composting.
We monitor food waste daily and if there is any waste then this is discussed and reviewed with an aim to reduce to zero waste from immediate effect. Many situations where waste occurs is when a mistake has been made in preparation. This is dealt with by further staff training and monitoring. Strategies for reducing food waste include:
- Start with a waste product – Kid goat, dairy calves, surplus veg, surplus milk etc
- Salads are designed to keep for 3 days with any deterioration on quality
- Quantities are made daily / hourly based on on-line statistics from previous days
- Signage is interchangeable to alter the dishes being sold
- Staff are trained to market products based on quantities left
- Recycling is taken care of by Borough Market.
- Over 95% of our disposables and packaging from Environpack are compostable and recyclable
- We encourage our suppliers to use recyclable packaging and for some suppliers we keep their packing and send back for reuse
- We only sell refillable bottles (made from recycled plastic) for filtered water
- We only sell glass bottles juices
We work with suppliers to reduce the amount of packaging. E.g
- Kupros Dairy reusing Halloumi containers
- Only buying bulk quantities where practical
Signed by: N P Stokes
Title: Operations Director
Date: 20th June 2018